Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bic stylus - cheap and great! ...and a little bit of rant, for good measure.



Whenever I saw a stylus that was reviewed or hanging in a store it was several if not all of these things:


- "Revolutionary" in some way. A paintbrush, why??
- Whatever crazy color the anodizers could provide.
- Heavy.
- Too short.
- Usually round and slippery. At least slippery. My Targus is.
- If it had a pen on one end, it was not of high quality.
- If it had a pen on one end, there was nowhere to put the cap that covers it. I mean, come on!
- Made of metal that goes "clank" against my iPad screen. Ouch.
- More money than I want to spend.



You know, since nobody pays me or sends me stuff to review I can say whatever I want. While I'm at it, isn't it a little annoying that most people who write "reviews" write about new stuff, not things they have had for some time and really used and tried out? It's so easy to mention this new thing with these specs that you can buy at this place for these kind of money. Kind of useless when what you really need is people with experience of that thing you are ready to spend money on telling you what is good and what is not so good about it. Ok, I'm done for now heh heh... And to be honest, there are very good reviews out there too!

My favourite stylus is not the latest whizz bang gizmo in pink or blue anodizing with amazing features. No, it is as long as the standard ballpoint Bic, as lightweight as the standard ballpoint Bic, as grip-friendly as the standard Bic ballpoint and writes as good as the standard Bic ballpoint. It is in fact a standard Bic ballpoint pen - with a stylus on the end. And yes, the cap fits right over the stylus end while you are using the ballpoint, and I paid a whopping 1,90 EUR for it. Actually, I bought five of them (hey, when you find good and cheap stuff you've better stock up) and it was still cheaper than the stylus I used until now. (UPDATE: next time around I bought ten heh heh)


This is what I'm talking about - The Bic Cristal Stylus:





Sure looks cheap but it's sooo good! - iPhone 4s, Camera+





I find the light weight keeps my hand relaxed and the hexagonal shape is easy to hold (you can try the grip and feel yourself - just grab a Bic pen!) The stylus tip responds with a light touch and the pen works.... well, as a pen should. The plastic has more friction to it than the slippery paint on my Targus  and improves the grip. Those guys or girls who made that Bic the first time new a thing or two, didn't they? Besides the obvious, it works great for drumming. You can make little buzzes and rolls with it, and that is something you can't do with that short, clunky metal one. Even if it's pink or whatever bright color the anodizers... ah, you've heard that before. You can also use a Bic, this one included, to test the sharpness of knives - but that's for another time.

Perhaps it won't make you feel as special as the guy who spent a fair bit of cash on his unique, elegant design thingimabob, oh yeah I spent some google time and words like "nostalgic", "dynamic" and "good looks" come up, but you won't have a $39,90 hole in your wallet either. What you will have is a perfectly good lightweight stylus on a perfectly good pen, and that's a winner folks!

Oh, and everyone I give one to agrees that it is very, very good! Now also has the wifes approval!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Requests? Please, go ahead and leave your comment here!